Monday, June 14, 2010

A Vacation

We had our family one last week in Seagrove, Fl. Great time. I love it. Love, love, love it down there. We were lucky enough to not have any oil, at all, on the beaches, in the water, etc. I pray it stays that way....

Every time I got into the emerald green waters I was so happy to be there, but at the same time sad, thinking, "is this the last time?" "Will this be closed tomorrow?" "When is the oil coming?" Stinking, stupid, careless BP.

I spend the following weeks after we get home scouring realtor.com for beach houses. Like we're going to get one, like it is even a remote possibility...still I search. One day, I will call the beach my home. A girl can dream, can't she?

In addition to our beach vacation, it appears (I say this like it just crept up on me. It didn't. Or I have not thought about it, a lot. I have.) I am taking a vacation from triathlon.

I've been on vacation from the bike since last week and the swim and I seem to be enjoying a nice long 3 week break. I've decided not to race Irongirls next weekend.

I need it.

I don't even miss it. Yet. I want to miss it. I just don't. I want to want to race. But, I don't. The fire is out. I hope it comes back. But, I am happy where I am.

Running. A lot.

Racing 5 and 10k's. And throwing in a half when it cools off.

It is fun. I like to run. And it doesn't hurt. Biking and swimming hurt my wrist. A lot. (Running actually does sometimes, too, but much less than the other two.)

Has anyone ever felt this way and come back with a fire for triathlon? I hope I do, but it seems so far away right now...which is fine. Just curious.

Vaca




5 comments:

Allison Chapple said...

As a runner-turned-triathlete-turned back to a runner, I can honestly say (with some sadness) that the fire has NOT returned for me. I haven't done a tri since Ironman CDA (that you did too!) and really have no desire to get back in the pool or on the bike. Running just *fits* into my life right now. No workout longer than 2 hours, races are fun even when painful. The logistics are just easier all the way around. But do I miss being a triathlete? You betcha. Do I feel jealous reading about people's training and races? Oh yeah. But I am just doing what feels right and training for tris just doesn't right now. Maybe the fire will return but it's going to be a while since I have other fish to fry (running races this summer and then trying for another baby). The way I figure it is that triathlon will always be there waiting for me when I'm ready for a comeback.

Rebecca DeWire said...

Sounds like a great beach vacation. Running, and not swimming and biking, sounds like a perfect fit for you right now. Especially since those other activities hurt your wrist. I hope that heals up for good soon.

Angela and David said...

I felt this way after IMOO when we were trying to get pregnant. The doctor told me not to train as hard and to fatten up a bit and it was such a huge relief because I just wasn't looking forward to training at all. Three months of just working out when I felt like and then the fire was back (and then I was pregnant so there was nothing I could do about it).

Looks like a great vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
I am not a tri-girl at all but I have been running for a long time and there was a point when I lost my running fire. For a good while too - I was completely burned out from running 5-6 days a week and the long runs early Saturday mornings while everyone else (Jason) was sleeping in and relaxing. My running was supposed to be fun and a stress reliever but it turned into a job. I turned it into a competitive job for myself and got burned out. I am happy to say that I found my flame again and no, I am not competing with myself like I used to but I have found my happy medium. I'm not going to be a world-renowned runner (I wish someone would have told me that earlier...wink, wink) but I am back to enjoying it and it helps me with my sanity between work and motherhood. I think you will find your happy medium too :)

Jen (peace of mind body soul)

Luray va accommodations said...

The Sea grove Beach, Florida is a dream place to spend vacations with family and kids on silk sand beaches with turquoise water to enjoy and also have better accommodations for visitors for having a wonderful stay along with all luxury and modern facilities in an ideal beach house.