Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chattahoochee Challenge 10K

Ran the Chattahoochee Challenge 10K this morning.

The good news?
I PR'd (not terribly hard seeing as this is my second ever stand alone 10K). I try to avoid this distance and stick with 5k's. They hurt just as much, just for not as long.

And for the first time in a while, I did not actually throw up while racing. Just dry heaved. A lot. (Can ANYONE tell me why this happens and what I can do to stop it?) But, big bonus for not leaving the race with a shirt full of puke.

The bad?
I lost.
To Kindzia. (His race report is here.)
My road racing nemesis.
He out kicked me...those damn dry heaves and a strong finish don't seem to go hand in hand.

If only the race was 5 miles long, I would have totally kicked his a$$. See above.

We ran together the whole time and he kept me in check with his fancy-schmancy Garmin. It was nice not to throw down a 6:15 adrenaline fueled first mile and actually run fairly even splits. He counted the ladies ahead of me...told me where I was overall. (I think I might have been top 10, but results aren't posted yet.) His nice wife took our pictures. (Thanks, Angela!) He kept my stuff in his warm car (I parked a mile away.). Let me sweat all over his phone when mine died. Wow...I sound like such a mooch, huh?

44:14. Very happy with that. I felt strong and comfortable until the last 1.2 and that was a struggle, but it is supposed to be, right?

Kindzia dropped a 44:04.

I smell a rematch.

Official results are online now. They're calling my 44:14 a 44:18. I beg to differ, Mr. Chattahoochee Challenge Race Official. :)

3rd in my age group and 11th overall. Very happy but much room for improvement!

Best part? A sweet brunch at Michelle and Eddie's post race. Thanks, guys...that was awesome.

Race shirt is totally acceptable race day attire. That and a big one socked baby on your hip.

8 comments:

Meghan said...

you are amazing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What's PR? Please translate for the running impaired among your friends - can't wait for spring and Allie's legs in view all the time!

RunningMama said...

YEAH! Congrats on the race and SO sorry to hear about 5 am workouts...I fear I might face the same fate...

Alicia Parr said...

I think we have Alice's missing sock on Remy's dresser. ;)

Great race chica!

Lauren said...

Congrats!!! That's awesome!

Angela and David said...

Great job!

At least Alice still has one sock on! We can't keep any socks on Zach's feet.

H said...

Congrats!!!

Michelle Simmons said...

That's awesome! Sounds like a great day. Congrats!