Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chattahoochee Challenge 10K

Ran the Chattahoochee Challenge 10K this morning.

The good news?
I PR'd (not terribly hard seeing as this is my second ever stand alone 10K). I try to avoid this distance and stick with 5k's. They hurt just as much, just for not as long.

And for the first time in a while, I did not actually throw up while racing. Just dry heaved. A lot. (Can ANYONE tell me why this happens and what I can do to stop it?) But, big bonus for not leaving the race with a shirt full of puke.

The bad?
I lost.
To Kindzia. (His race report is here.)
My road racing nemesis.
He out kicked me...those damn dry heaves and a strong finish don't seem to go hand in hand.

If only the race was 5 miles long, I would have totally kicked his a$$. See above.

We ran together the whole time and he kept me in check with his fancy-schmancy Garmin. It was nice not to throw down a 6:15 adrenaline fueled first mile and actually run fairly even splits. He counted the ladies ahead of me...told me where I was overall. (I think I might have been top 10, but results aren't posted yet.) His nice wife took our pictures. (Thanks, Angela!) He kept my stuff in his warm car (I parked a mile away.). Let me sweat all over his phone when mine died. Wow...I sound like such a mooch, huh?

44:14. Very happy with that. I felt strong and comfortable until the last 1.2 and that was a struggle, but it is supposed to be, right?

Kindzia dropped a 44:04.

I smell a rematch.

Official results are online now. They're calling my 44:14 a 44:18. I beg to differ, Mr. Chattahoochee Challenge Race Official. :)

3rd in my age group and 11th overall. Very happy but much room for improvement!

Best part? A sweet brunch at Michelle and Eddie's post race. Thanks, guys...that was awesome.

Race shirt is totally acceptable race day attire. That and a big one socked baby on your hip.

8 comments:

Meghan said...

you are amazing!!!!!

Mimi said...

What's PR? Please translate for the running impaired among your friends - can't wait for spring and Allie's legs in view all the time!

DC Running Mama said...

YEAH! Congrats on the race and SO sorry to hear about 5 am workouts...I fear I might face the same fate...

Alicia Parr said...

I think we have Alice's missing sock on Remy's dresser. ;)

Great race chica!

Lauren said...

Congrats!!! That's awesome!

Angela and David Kidd said...

Great job!

At least Alice still has one sock on! We can't keep any socks on Zach's feet.

Heather said...

Congrats!!!

Mama Simmons said...

That's awesome! Sounds like a great day. Congrats!